In photography, we have all heard that saying that “ if your photo is not good enough, it is because you were not close enough ”. That mythical phrase attributed to the great Robert Capa is one of the most famous, but throughout the history of photography there have been many others who (in addition to their art) have left for posterity some of those quotes that deserve careful reading for part of all of us who love this art .
That is why we bring you this compilation of 100 of the best phrases from photographers of all time (made by Digital Camera World ) and which we hope will be very inspiring. The phrases are organized according to different themes and, for practical reasons, we offer them divided into two parts.
What is photography?
1. “ boudoir photography near me for me is not looking, it is feeling. If you can’t feel what you’re looking at, then you’ll never make others feel anything when they look at your photos ”, Don McCullin .
2. “ Taking a photograph is more like writing a paragraph or a short piece, and taking a complete series of photographs is like producing a piece of writing in many ways. There is the possibility of making coherent statements in an interesting, subtle and complex way ”, David Goldblatt .
3. “ Photography is an answer that has to do with the momentary recognition of things. Suddenly you are alive. A minute later there is no one. I just watched it evaporate. You look at one moment and there is everything, the next moment it is gone. Photography is very philosophical ”, Joel Meyerowitz .
4. “ Photography with sincerity and effectiveness is to see below the surfaces ”, Ansel Adams .
5. “ Photographing a cake can be art ”, Irving Penn .
6. “ You can’t teach people to take pictures, they must learn it in the best possible way. They can learn by looking at pictures… but they don’t really engage with the medium intimately until they’ve gotten a few bad shots ”, Cecil Beaton .
7. “ The alphabet is not important. The important thing is what you are writing, what you are expressing. The same goes for photography ”, Andre Kertesz .
8. “ Many people seem to think that art or photography has to do with the appearance of things or their surface […] They do not understand that it is not about a style, an appearance or a configuration. It is about emotional obsession and empathy ”, Nan Goldin .
What determines a good photo?
9. “ If it makes you laugh, if it makes you cry, if it rips your heart out, that’s a good photograph . ” Eddie Adams .
10. “ The photograph is true. And the cinema is true twenty-four times a second ”, Jean-Luc Godard .
11. “ If you don’t have anything to say, your pictures won’t say much ”, Gordon Parks .
12. “ The best images are differentiated by nuances… A small relationship, be it a harmony or a discrepancy, creates an image ”, Ernst Haas .
13. “ The fact that people use Instagram and take photos with mobile phones does not mean that the images are meaningful, in the same way that a text that someone sends to a friend is not great literature. Is it something that will last? Will it inspire us? ”, Steve McCurry .
14. “ For me, a photograph is a page of life, and that is the thing, it must be real ”, Weegee .
15. “ A good photograph is like a good bloodhound, silly but eloquent ”, Eugène Atget .
16. “ The best images are those that retain their strength and impact over the years, regardless of the number of times they are viewed ,” Anne Geddes .
17. “ A photograph is a collision between a person with a camera and reality. The photograph is often as interesting as the collision ”, Charles Harbutt .
18. “ A good image is born from a state of grace. This manifests itself when one is freed from conventions, free as a child in his first discovery of reality. The game is to organize the triangle ”, Sergio Larrain .
On the fundamental principles of photography
19. “ Photography is not about what is photographed. It’s all about what that thing looks like photographed ”, Garry Winogrand .
20. “ The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in her is not what you saw at the time. The true skill of photography is the organized visual lie ”, Terence Donovan .
21. “ It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. It takes less imagination to be a painter because you can invent things, but in photography… It takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the extraordinary ”, David Bailey .
22. “ Of course, there will always be those who only look at the technique, who ask ‘how’, while others, of a more curious nature, ask ‘why.’ Personally I have always preferred inspiration to information ”, Man Ray .
23. “ Photography is a medium in which if you don’t shoot often, you don’t shoot at all, because things don’t happen twice. A rock will probably always be more or less exactly as you saw it yesterday. But other things change, they are not always there the day after or the week after ”, Paul Strand .
24. “ Ultimately, simplicity is the goal in all works of art, and achieving simplicity is one of the hardest things to do; however, it is the most essential ”, Pete Turner.
25. “ You have to let the person looking at the photo do something to finish it off. You should offer them a seed that will grow and open their minds ”, Robert Doisneau .